Going green can save you green and save the planet! Even the smallest action can help.
Every day you are using water and energy, and creating waste. That means, every day you are impacting the environment. These tips will help you make choices with the good of the environment in mind.
- Conserve water because it is the right thing to do – even when someone else is footing the bill, such as when you are staying at a hotel or at someone else's home.
- Report water losses (broken pipes, open hydrants, errant sprinklers, abandoned free-flowing wells, etc.) to the property owner, local authorities or your water management district.
- Follow water conservation guidelines and ordinances in your community. Even if your water comes from a private well – you are expected to comply.
- Install a rain barrel at your home to collect rain water.
- Reuse plastic bags or better get a reusable canvas bags.
- When buying any type of product, see if it is available with post consumer recycled content.
- Wrap presents in gift bags. Once you tear the wrapping paper off a holiday gift it ends up in the recycle bin, but gift bags can be used over and over again.
- Eat locally – it saves transportation costs and helps the local economy, too!
- Pay your bills online, as opposed to receiving monthly statements.
- Next time you go shopping ask yourself a few questions before making a purchase. For example, how far has this product traveled to reach the shelf? How long will this product last? Is there a better alternative, or do I even need it at all?
- Avoid throwaway plates, cups, flatware and trays. Carry and use your reusable mug.
More Green Living